Although it has not been an easy journey, Jane’s progress has been remarkable since being placed in the TFCO program and she continues to show positive signs with her new carers. Read more about Jane’s remarkable story.
Treatment Foster Care Oregon (TFCO)
Treatment Foster Care Oregon is a specialised foster care program that supports children and young people with complex behaviours.
What is Treatment Foster Care Oregon (TFCO)?
Treatment Foster Care Oregon is a specialised foster care program based on over 40 years of international evidence and research developed as an alternative to institutional, residential and group care placements designed to increase positive behaviours in children and young people with the aim of reuniting them with their families.
It’s a short term placement of around six to 12 months in the specialised foster carers family home. TFCO carers provide close supervision and implement a structured, individualised program for each child or young person.
Two versions of the TFCO program are implemented each serving specific age groups
- TFCO-A for young people aged 12-17 years run in SA and NSW
- TFCO-C for children aged 7-11 years run in VIC, QLD and NSW
How is TFCO different to other types of foster care?
- An Exact Program Guide: TFCO carers are closely supervised daily, directed and must follow the exact instruction in this highly prescriptive program.
- Short Term: This program needs typically six to 12 months to make positive changes in a child or young person’s behaviour, enabling them to live well in a stable family environment.
- Flexibility: TFCO carers will need to be available for their foster child or young person if needed at any time day or night.
- Location: TFCO carers will live within one hour of the TFCO offices in either NSW, QLD, SA or VIC.
- Highly Supportive: TFCO carers will be supported by a treatment team that provides intensive support and consultation to the foster parents. The team includes a family therapist, an individual therapist, a skills trainer, and daily telephone contact. The team meets weekly to review progress, review the daily behavioural information, and adjust the child or young persons individualised treatment plan.
- Transition Support: TFCO continues to support the birth family or long-term carer with therapy and parent training. Families learn to provide consistent discipline, supervise and provide encouragement, and use a modified version of the behaviour management system. Therapy is provided to prepare parents for their child’s return home to reduce conflict and increase positive relationships. Family sessions and home visits during the child or young person’s placement in TFCO provide opportunities for the parents to practice learnt skills.
- Support: Receive full training and 24/7 support. All qualified carers receive a tax-free reimbursement of $75,000 per annum, pro-rata (VIC and NSW) and $65,000 per annum, pro-rata (QLD and SA) to help with the costs associated with supporting a child or young person.
- Create opportunities to successfully live in the family home rather than in group or institutional settings
- Provide daily structure with clear expectations and fair and specific consequences
- An environment that supports daily school attendance and engagement
- Help develop positive attachments to adults
Thanks to the support of our team in the South West, the Harrington family were provided with an integrated service experience that was responsive to their expressed goals and need in real time. Hear more about their story now.
Since being placed in the specialised foster care program, Treatment Foster Care Oregon, William has made great progress at home and school. Read more about William’s remarkable story.
Become a treatment
Becoming a specialised foster carer can be incredibly fulfilling, knowing you’re helping get children and young people with complex behaviours back on track, and giving them the best chance to shine.FIND OUT MORE
Find out if Treatment Foster Care Oregon (TFCO) is available in your state
This program is available in your state
Click here to view the contact details for your local offices.
Unfortunately, this program is not available in your state
Sign up to the OzChild mailing list
Stay up to date with the latest news and events.
Choose your region
Select your region to create an enhanced and personal experience.