Who we are
Our vision & purpose
Every child and young person deserves the chance to shine.
All children and young people are safe, respected, nurtured and reach their full potential.
OzChild supports children, young people and families who are experiencing significant challenges, by strengthening families, providing healing, and preventing abuse and neglect.
Our commitment to Child Safety
- We will safeguard children in all that we do.
- We are committed to creating environments in all our programs and services that ensure children and young people’s needs are met and they are thriving.
- We are committed to being a child empowering organisation which encourages the engagement and participation of children and young people. Listening to children is critical to ensuring they are involved in decisions impacting their future. Educating and upholding children’s rights and valuing their contributions on an organisational level ensures inclusion and safety.
- We are committed to listening to children and addressing any concerns they raise with us, in addition to ensuring appropriate risk management strategies are embedded into our everyday practice.
- We are committed to respecting the diverse needs of children and young people engaging in our programs including those who are Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, those from cultural, religious, or linguistically diverse backgrounds, those with disabilities or who identify as LGBTQIA+.
- We are committed to appropriate screening of staff and volunteers and ensuring ongoing education and training opportunities are provided.
- We are committed to maintaining compliance with the National Child Safe Principles, the Victorian and New South Wales Child Safe Standards. By doing so Ozchild will ensure that the safety of children is promoted, instances of abuse are prevented, and any allegations are promptly reported and responded to.
- If you would like further information relating to the National Child Safe Principles click here.
- If you would like further information relating to the Victorian Child Safe Standards click here.
- If you would like further information relating to the NSW Child Safe Standards click here.
If you have any child safety concerns, you can contact OzChild here.
Our Commitment to First Nations People
- OzChild is committed to actively supporting and taking steps towards achieving real reconciliation with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
- Our relationships with our First Nations Peoples are relevant across various aspects of our organisation, including the children and young people and families supported through our programs and as we work alongside Aboriginal Controlled Community Organisations to make a sustained positive difference in the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families.
- We are committed to ensuring all our staff move beyond cultural awareness to actively ensuring cultural needs are met for individuals. This means that cultural needs are included in policies and practices, so all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and young people are treated fairly.
- As an organisation we are committed to understanding and sharing the issues facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and communities as we focus on ensuring the children who come into our care receive care that is both culturally responsive and safe.
- We acknowledge the sometimes-overwhelming grief, suffering and hurt that flows through the generations of Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, and we are actively on a journey to strengthen our cultural knowledge so we can respond to the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
To read more about our Dhiiyaan Mirri bridging cultures unit click here.
To read more about our Reconciliation plan click here.
The OzChild way
- We deliver evidence-based services
- Our customer determines our success
- We deliver innovative solutions
- We set each other up for success
- I learn, adapt, grow and embrace my cultural competence
- We will safeguard children in all that we do
- We will continuously advocate to enable self-determination for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
- We will act on the evidence, rigorously evaluate outcomes, and invest in what works
- We will continue to support those impacted by our care throughout our history
OzChild’s Four Key Priorities
Prevent children & young people entering out-of-home care
Reduce the number of children & young people in residential care
Prevent young people entering youth justice
Support self-determination to reduce the over representation of Aboriginal children in child protection & youth justice
Delivering What Works
OzChilds Strategic Plan to 2026
Our Strategic Plan describes our purpose and the measures put in place to ensure we achieve our key goals and vision – that all children and young people in our care are safe, respected, nurtured and reach their potential.
OzChild’s Second National Innovate
Reconciliation Action Plan
We are committed to working alongside our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander colleagues to ensure children and young people in our care are culturally safe, as well as to improve our own cultural competence.
OzChild is the trading name of Children Australia Inc, a registered not-for-profit independent children’s welfare agency, incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act 1981. Children Australia is endorsed as a deductible gift recipient and is assessed as a public benevolent institution by the Australian Taxation Office in accordance with the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997.
Sign up to the OzChild mailing list
Stay up to date with the latest news and events.
Choose your region
Select your region to create an enhanced and personal experience.