Mentors in our Lead Tenant program help young people learn how to tackle the many early adulthood challenges of school, work experience, career choices and promoting independent living skills.
Lead Tenant provides semi-independent accommodation and support for young people aged 16-18 who are unable to live with their family due to issues of abuse or neglect. The young people are supported by a volunteer adult who provides day-to-day guidance and mature role modelling, with additional support provided by case managers and youth workers.
Lead Tenant placements take place in residences within local communities where a young person or persons reside with a ‘lead tenant’ (an adult volunteer) who provides support and guidance in developing their independent living skills.
What does being a Lead Tenant live-in mentor involve?
As a Lead Tenant live-in mentor, your primary role is to mentor, support and help create a positive environment for young people aged 16-18 in a shared house arrangement.
- You will be sharing a residence with one other mentor.
- You must live in the Western Melbourne region.
- You must be aged 21 and over and be employed or studying full-time.
What is a typical day as a Lead Tenant Mentor?
You will be a positive role model in the home, showing kids not only how to help and support with household chores and routines around the house, but also how to manage their day to day living needs. Your personal support will help them as they begin their transition to independent living.
What are the benefits of being a Lead Tenant live-in mentor?
- As a live-in mentor, your accommodation, rent and utility bills are taken care of.
- Be part of a brand new team with a unique culture which promotes shared values.
- Gain experience working with young people.
- Work alongside case managers to increase your sector knowledge.
- Receive on-going training and support.
Find out if Lead Tenant Mentor is available in your state
This program is available in your state
Click here to view the contact details for your local offices.
Unfortunately, this program is not available in your state
OzChild acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.
Sign up to the OzChild mailing list
Stay up to date with the latest news and events.
Choose your region
Select your region to create an enhanced and personal experience.