OzChild is committed to ensuring vulnerable children, young people and their families are provided with the most effective support and interventions available. In partnership with Anglicare Victoria and the Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA), we will be introducing new evidence based practice into our family and out of home care services.
OzChild’s evidence based practices are programs backed by high quality international research, demonstrating that the intervention is effective for the intended client group. They are characterised by a clearly articulated theory, comprehensive staff training manuals, model adherence measures and on-going quality assurance systems. Each of the evidence based practices selected have been chosen because they have been shown to consistently achieve outstanding results for vulnerable children and young people and their families.
Our evidence based practices are listed below:
- SafeCare® is an early intervention program designed to prevent family breakdown and children and young people from entering the out of home care system.
- We know that one of the most powerful things we can do for children is keep them in a safe, loving home and protect them from neglect and abuse.
- Giving parents the necessary skills to care for their children (aged 0-5 years) is the central component of the SafeCare®
- In delivering SafeCare® OzChild make weekly home visits and work through three modules: building positive parent/child interactions; caring for children’s health; and keeping the home safe.
- OzChild is the first organisation in Victoria to offer SafeCare®
- For more information, go to the SafeCare website.
- SafeCare® (download fact sheet)
- Functional Family Therapy through Child Welfare, High Risk® (FFT-CW HR®)
- Protecting children and young people from entering out of home care is the central objective of this program – recognising that children and young people will have profoundly better outcomes if they are supported to remain with their families.
- FFT-CW® HR uses a holistic approach to addressing issues affecting families facing vulnerability. By addressing these issues collaboratively in the family environment within a psycho-therapy framework families are supported to take practical actions to reduce the risk of their children (aged 0-17 years) entering care.
- FFT-CW® HR is a short term (3-6 months) intensive home based program focused on motivating for change; changing problem behavior and embedding change.
- FFT-CW® HR works with families who are reluctant to engage with services, have mental health concerns, with abuse or neglect issues, and a history of family violence, substance abuse or engagement with the criminal justice system.
- OzChild is the first organisation in Australia to offer FFT-CW® HR
- For more information, go to the FFT-CW website
- Functional Family Therapy – Child Welfare (FFT-CW®) (download fact sheet)
- Treatment Foster Care Oregon (TFCO®)
- TFCO® provides an evidence based response to removing children and young people from residential care. It works with children and young people as an alternative to residential care placements and provides them with therapeutic short term foster care placements, which address destructive behaviours to enable them to be stable in a more long term standard foster care placement.
- The program is delivered by a team of specialists who support the foster carer and the young person with practical behavior based interventions which are designed to enable longer term stability for the young person.
- There is a focus on skills training, therapy and academic support for the young person, and support and training for the after care family to support long term stability.
- The placement is short-term (between 6-9 months) and is based around four structured elements of treatment including, consistent reinforcement, structured living environment, close supervision, establishing positive social relationships.
- After TFCO® placements, young people and children are anticipated to either return to their families or maintain a stable out-of-home-care placement.
- TFCO® is well suited to assisting children and young people with complex needs in our services – those at high risk of entering residential care. OzChild and Anglicare (in partnership) are the first organisations in Australia to offer TFCO®
- For more information, go to the TFCO website
- Treatment Foster Care Oregon® (TFCO) (download fact sheet)
For more information, contact David Poynter, Senior Manager of Business Development and Innovation (03) 5975 7644 or email@example.com or Danielle Jacobs, OzChild Director of Innovation and Partnerships 0413 604 224 or firstname.lastname@example.org