Improving parenting skills to better protect little ones

News, Parenting | Posted February 17, 2020
Improving parenting skills to better protect little ones

The very real need to better protect newborns and toddlers from abuse and neglect was the driving force behind OzChild’s quest to break the cycle of disadvantage many children and young people face.

This resulted in OzChild being the first Australian agency to be accredited as a SafeCare provider to increase the safety and well-being of newborns and toddlers.

The SafeCare program addresses the need to improve the parenting skills for parents of children aged 0-5 who are at risk of or have been reported for child neglect or physical abuse – assisting with placement prevention and reunification of children from the out-of-home care system.

Extensive randomised studies have shown highly positive outcomes compared to services as usual in increasing parenting skills, reducing likelihood of child maltreatment reports, reducing parental depression and increasing program satisfaction.

Since the program’s inception in Melbourne’s south east, 208 families have been referred and 56 parents have graduated.

Of the 58 families who participated in SafeCare during 2018-19, 28% successfully completed the program while the remaining 72% were still engaged at the end of the 2019 financial year.

In 2020, SafeCare began servicing the north east of Victoria – within the City of Shepparton – one of Victoria’s top 15 most disadvantaged local government areas. Evidence links disadvantage with child maltreatment – it is our hope our entry into this region will improve the health and wellbeing of children within the Goulbourn Valley.


Latest news

View all
News
A holistic approach to rising youth offending rates

Recent data reveals a troubling trend in youth crime, with the number of juvenile offenders in Australia rising for the first time in over a decade. The Australian Bureau of…

News
The Costs of Alternative Care Arrangements Cannot be Ignored. 

Opinion piece by Dr Lisa J. Griffiths  In addressing the profound challenges faced by our most vulnerable children and young people, relying on high-cost emergency accommodations (HCEA’s) such as hotels…

News
OzChild’s first Mockingbird Family Constellation

In Australia, there are approximately 9000 foster carers; this equates to roughly around 0.03% of our total population. That means that over 99% of the population has no idea what…

Subscription icon

Sign up to the OzChild mailing list

Stay up to date with the latest news and events.

ENQUIRE NOW

Choose your region

Select your region to create an enhanced and personal experience.

Acknowledgement of Country


OzChild acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we live and work. We acknowledge their cultures are living ones, which relate to their ongoing connection to all things living and non-living on land, sea and sky.

We pay our respect to Elders past and present.

May the children of today lead us to a brighter tomorrow.

This will close in 0 seconds