For the first time in Australia, an evidence-based, internationally successful program is providing an alternative to residential care and getting kids with problem behaviours back to a stable, family life.
WHAT IS THE CHALLENGE?
For some children, the effects of childhood abuse, neglect and being in the system have made it overwhelmingly difficult to manage their feelings, thoughts and behaviours. These difficult behaviours put those children and young people at risk of being excluded from the benefits of a stable family environment, creating a cycle of worsening behaviours and catastrophic outcomes.
WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?
TFCO is an internationally-proven program that intervenes with children in residential care whose behaviour makes it difficult for foster carers to help them. This program delivers intensive support to the child, foster carer and birth family and has demonstrated success in transforming their behaviour, making it possible for children to settle into a stable family environment. Foster carers in TFCO are given specialist training and then are closely guided and supervised by a professional team as they help a foster child aged between 7 and 17 years old, over the six – nine month program.
HOW THE CHILD AND CARER ARE SUPPORTED
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- Tax free $47K reimbursement for a 9 month placement
- Evidence-based, and has been running successfully overseas for over 30 years
- Focuses on increasing positive behaviour using incentives
- Weekly support meetings for carers, and daily calls from carer supporter
- TFCO team is there from day 1
- Clear timeline – child is with the program for 6-9 months and then goes back to family or other aftercare family
Australian first program
This is the first time this evidence-based model of foster care is being delivered in Australia, through a joint initiative from OzChild and Anglicare Victoria, and supported by the Victorian State Government.