Who we are
OzChild works with over 6,000 children and young people with the aim of providing them a better future. OzChild often works with children who are in the ‘too hard’ basket in the belief that every young person deserves the chance to shine. Our approach is comprehensive; where we can provide multiple services to address the often numerous issues in the lives of children and their families.
Our programs range from foster care for children aged 0 – 18 who can no longer live with their natural parents; services for children with disabilities; health and welfare support such as counselling in schools and for families experiencing difficulties; respite for families whose children often have complex needs; education, scholarships, mentorship and development programs for disengaged and underprivileged youth.
Mission & vision
OzChild’s mission is protecting and building the futures of children and young people.
OzChild’s purpose is to improve the quality of care, life opportunities and status of children by:
- taking or initiating action to protect or enhance the rights of children
- providing or enabling direct services, through a variety of disciplines, for the benefit of children
- influencing decisions or actions of individuals, organisations and governments, where relevant to children and their families.
OzChild improves life opportunities for children across Australia and beyond by delivering a range of integrated, diverse and accessible services that are outcome focused and recognised for excellence. Our mission is set within the framework of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCROC). We aim to give every child the chance to shine.
Protecting and caring for children since 1851, OzChild is the longest continuous service to children and families in Victoria. OzChild grew from three agencies and gold rush beginnings. To learn more click here.
OzChild has a dedicated board of experienced members with experience throughout a range of sectors. Our board members work to ensure the best future for OzChild and all of the children within our care. Meet our board members, click here.
Our advocacy work
For over 160 years, OzChild has been committed to the protection of Australia’s most vulnerable and at-risk children. In service to this commitment, OzChild is also an advocate for sector reform and positive public attitudes to children in care. We conduct high-quality, independent research into every aspect of child welfare within Australia and around the world. Read click here.
OzChild is passionate about equality, fairness and acceptance, and will take all complaints seriously. To read more about our policies surrounding these issues, check the table below.
- We know your privacy is important, therefore all information gathered by OzChild is protected to the best of our abilities. For more information on how your personal information is stored, Click here.
- OzChild is committed to community standards, expectations and relevant legal and ethical guidelines in relation to professional behaviour and maintaining an environment in which team members, volunteers, casual staff and contractors are able to report, without fear of retaliatory action, concerns about any serious instances of improper conduct they believe may be occurring. If you would like more information you can click here.
- OzChild takes all complaints seriously. If you have experienced any problems with our services or staff, please contact us and let us know. If you would like more information about how your complaints will be handled, Click here.
- OzChild is committed to maintaining equality in our services and workplaces. To read our Diversity Statement, Click here.
Click on the links below to download our most recent financial and annual reports.